Sunday, February 24, 2013

YZF R15 Version One Performance Tuned ! 0.15 litre Bombshell !



My 0.15 litre bombshell

It was two years back I bought my limited edition Yamaha YZF-R15 . I rode it stock till last December, and I loved it. Talking about the stock R15, its tuned good with less torque below 5,000 rpm. It’s good for city rides or commuting. And after 6000 rpm there is considerably good torque delivery towards the end of the limiter that is 10500 rpm. The stock R15’s ECU is locked or limited at 10500 rpm.
I always wanted a performance upgrade. So when I took a decision that I’m going to stay with this bike for a bit long like a 100000 km on the ODO I decided to upgrade the performance. Or say the STAGE 2-R15. I searched for plenty of options. I found plenty indeed. I wanted the best for the bike. It took almost 2 months for me to decide on the 1st mod that is changing the air intake manifold. Finally I found the great COSWORTH cold air intake. Efficient and delivers good performance. If you are changing the air filter there are chances of misfiring as the AF ratio is slightly changed. So for better sparking I changed the spark plugs to NGK iridium plugs. This was the basic mod I did. I had to wait long after this for the next mod.



The performance upgrade

At first I thought I’ll go for Daytona racing parts. Searched for it big time. But couldn't find any for my LUCK! That is when I came across Race concepts. Joel Joseph a racer himself and a race engineer building the best tuned products for the R15. Read the reviews. Found it good. Rode all the way to Bangalore. Met him, and installed the stage 2 camshaft and clutch springs. Also I installed Powertronics RS ECU.
Talking about the upgrades the best 3 things you can do on your bike is change the air intake, fuel control, and the exhaust. They are the best triplet. Everything else is added power. Those are the basic and the best mods. But I had some change of plans about the exhaust. I can’t install it now or rather afford it now. So I went with the ECU, camshaft, and clutch springs.
Joel’s camshaft was designed in a way to give the power delivery after 6000 rpm. And indeed it’s a huge torque gain. Works well in the mid range and the top end. You get a wide power band. And Joel’s clutch springs are stiffer to reduce the losses in transmission and to give you faster split-second transmission. These products are just awesome. Worth every penny.
Now the ECU, Powertronics RS. It’s another awesome thing I’ve experienced. The mapping is like you see in the Power commander (fuel controller) in Superbikes, these ECU s have preloaded maps to give you best results. We can select the maps using the throttle and by watching the lights blink on the dash. 1st map is a mileage map, 2nd for air filter change, 3rd for cam + air filter , 4th for cam + air filter + exhaust, and 5th cam + air filter + exhaust + big bore. All the maps have 10% more fuel injected. As I don’t have exhaust and big bore I can only try till map 3. Map 1 gives me around 45+ mileage and map 3 gives me around 38kms mileage. Sad to hear uh? But I can clock 95+km/hr in the 3rd gear. And although I haven’t measured perfect, I guess it clocks a 100km/hr in less than 10 secs.
The ECU has a perfect shift light blinking on the dash for transmission without much rpm loss. And also the radiator is turned on when the engine is hot. All these are not included in the stock ECU and above all I can now rev happily till 12000 rpm, without much strain. All together the bike is pretty good.

All these performance upgrades have given me a new feel altogether. My bike just blows me off now. Huge torque in the mid-range and above. Thank you for putting a big smile on my face and a sad one on the others. Thank you for your wonderful mind-blowing performance parts.
Now, you will surely be interested and anxious to know the total cost for these upgrades, right?
INR 20,000 is what it takes to change your R15 into a beast !


Bike and Image Courtesy - ANGILO PORUTHUR




With Thanks & Regards
Abey Daniel Abraham
Ride Safe


Please do leave your comments  suggestions and feedback's


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Submit Your Comments & Suggestions !